My Art 2 class has been really great this year! I’m so excited because it really seems like a long time since I’ve enjoyed teaching Art 2.
We recently began working on Tempera Paint Resist artworks. It’s a fun process that I personally really enjoy. I love the lack of control but often times students really struggle with it. These guys seem to have embraced it…so far!
Here is my demo of the process.
You start with a sheet of any color construction paper (which is one reason I love this! The materials used are really cheap!) You can also use watercolor paper.
For this demo, I used an orange paper. I sketched a design out with pencil and went over it with Sharpie marker. Then, I painted inside the black lines using really thick tempera paint. You’ll want to try to keep your brush pretty dry since you want thick paint. (THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH ACRYLIC) The first layer of paint is the most important as it stains the paper. Don’t cover the black Sharpie lines.
Next, I added another thick coat of paint everywhere.
You’ll need to let these dry overnight. Then, coat the whole page in black India ink.
Let the ink dry until no more shiny spots are remaining. If you leave the ink on overnight, it sometimes becomes more difficult to remove.
Next, fill up a sink or a photo developing tray with cool water. You can place the artwork on a piece of masonite board or plexiglass to help support it. Then lower it into the water. You can lightly begin to use your fingers to remove the ink from the tempera paint. Sometimes it comes off easily and other times, it requires quite a bit of rubbing. Be gentle with the paper as it becomes really fragile when it’s wet.
You’ll begin to see the paint showing through. You might need to empty the water (because it gets really dirty) and refill. You can pull up the paper and peek to see what it looks like. You can choose how little or how much you wash it off.
Allow to dry. The black ink sticks to some parts where the paint was thinner or where the artist left the paper uncoated. It’s a fun process and leaves an interesting texture!
I’ll post some process shots of my students work soon!